Thursday, April 28, 2016

If You Love Poetry, You'll Love These Musical Artists

Music and poetry go hand in hand pretty nicely. Especially if the lyrics are meaningful and you can just feel the music. As a musician, music is probably one my favorite things EVER! But listening to the right kind of music is key. So I compiled a list of  15 modern artists that are a must to listen to, especially if you like poetry or actually listen to the lyrics.

Daughter 
I gotta be honest with you. Daughter is my absolute favorite. Her meaningful lyrics, her cool music...I seriously lost count of how many songs I have of hers on my iPod. She's pretty great. 

Best song: Youth
Best lyric: Literally all of them

Visit their website here

Leon Bridges
There's something so great about Leon Bridges. I don't know if it's his smooth soulful voice or his gospel style sound, but he's definitely worth listening to.

Best song: River
Best lyric: "A fear hangs over my head/ I search for peace in the midst of it all/ What we had in those photographs so far gone/ I gotta move on" (So Long)

Visit his website here



Halsey
I'm a big fan of sassy and independent feminist singers who practically dare you to censor them. And Halsey definitely fits the bill. She's got kind of a slam poetry style to most of her songs. However, sadly, her best songs aren't the ones they play on the radio. But then again, isn't that the truth for every artist.

Best song: Gasoline
Best lyric: "I'm bigger than my body/ I'm colder than this home/ I'm meaner than my demons/ I'm bigger than these bones" (Control)

Visit her website here


5 Seconds of Summer
Alright alright alright. I'll admit it, I was pretty skeptical about them myself, but these guys are seriously good. Their style is very similar to that of Green Day's and the lyrics are loud and rebellious and pretty freaking awesome. 

Best song: She's Kinda Hot
Best lyric: "Sick of the system/ Don't wanna hear it/ It's not a secret/ I'm just a reject" (Rejects)

Visit their website here



Mumford & Sons
If you don't like Mumford & Sons, you arguably don't have a pulse. 

Best song: The Wolf
Best lyric: "Keep the earth below my feet/ For all my sweat my blood runs weak/ Let me learn from where I have been/ Keep my eyes to serve my hands to learn" (Below My Feet)


Visit their website here


Melanie Martinez
If you're looking for clever wordplay, Melanie Martinez is your girl. She can turn seriously messed up things about society into childish metaphors and it's crazy cool.

Best Song: Sippy Cup
Best Lyric: "If you want a little more confidence/ Potatoes turn to french fries yeah it's common sense/ All you need's a little more condiments/ And a hundred thousand dollars for some compliments" (Mrs. Potato Head)

Visit her website here


Twenty One Pilots
Pure (sometimes weird) poetry. That's all I got to say about it.

Best song: Ride
Best lyric: "Some see a pen/ I see a harpoon" (Ode to Sleep)

Visit their website here


Pink Floyd
They date back a little ways, but they're still active in the music business even today! Their cool music and odd but meaningful lyrics definitely make them a unique and interesting band.

Best Song: Wish You Were Here
Best Lyrics: "When I was a child/ I caught a fleeting glimpse/ Out of the corner of my eye/ I turned to look but it was gone/ I cannot put my finger on it now/ The child is grown/ The dream is gone"


Visit their website here



Lorde
Oh where to begin. Her songs are a lot like her name: simple, snappy, and interesting. Many people are familiar with her song Royals, but she's got a bunch more masterpieces up her sleeve.

Best song: Glory and Gore (though World Alone is a close second)
Best lyric: "I'll be the beauty queen in tears/ It's a new art form showing people how little we care" (Tennis Court)

Visit her website here


The Lumineers
Everybody was freaking out when Hey Ho came out, but does anybody really appreciate the true greatness that is The Lumineers? They remind me a lot of Mumford and Sons with their acoustic sounds and poetic lyrics. Definitely worth checking out.

Best song: Slow It Down
Best lyric: "It's a long road to wisdom/ But it's a short one to being ignored" (Flowers In Your Hair)

Visit their website here


Elle King
If you want sassy, you came to the right place. Keep being awesome Ms. King. (Also, if you like her sound, Gin Wigmore is also a good artist to check out.)

Best song: America's Sweetheart
Best lyric: "And I bet it gets tiring always having to be right/ Well I'd love to be a cheating man to fill those lonely nights" (Good To Be A Man)


Visit her website here


Hozier
Those deep dark lyrics and crooning voice are a perfect combination. Hozier's got this poetry thing down.

Best song: Arsonist's Lullaby
Best lyrics: "Idealism sits in prison/ Chivalry fell on its sword/ Innocence died screaming/ Honey ask me I should know"

Visit his website here


Gabrielle Aplin
I love the innocence and light, poetic lyrics that Gabrielle puts in her music. She's definitely somebody worth listening to.

Best song: Start of Time (But I really really like Start Again too)
Best lyric: "I'm a phoenix in the water/ A fish that's learned to fly/ And I've always been a daughter/ But feathers are meant for the sky"


Visit her website here


Bastille
I don't have words for this man. He's a freaking lyrical genius, that's all I'll say.

Best song: Oblivion
Best lyric: "Flames they licked the walls/ Tenderly they turned to dust all that I adore" (Things We Lost In The Fire)

Visit his website here


Marina and the Diamonds
Talk about underrated! Marina is killing it with her snarky and honest lyrics and her unique pop sound. She's all I listened to in high school. She really deserves more credit.

Best song: How To Be A Heartbreaker
Best lyric: "I guess you could say that my life's a mess/ But I'm still looking pretty in this dress/ I'm the image of deception" (Homewrecker)


Visit her Twitter here



BONUS: Nitesky by Robot Koch (because the music is actually one of the greatest things ever)




Obviously, there are TONS more artists with killer lyrics and great music. I always love hearing about new songs and artists. and I love sharing my music collection. Music is the ultimate human connector. You can learn so much about a person just by listening to their favorite musician or song. Let's just be real. Music rocks!






No comments:

Post a Comment